- P&G third-quarter profit rises April 23, 2014Procter & Gamble reported a higher quarterly profit on Wednesday, helped by an increase in sales of its home care products.
- Mortgage apps drop, despite record loans April 23, 2014Despite warmer weather, stable interest rates and more homes on the market, mortgage applications fell last week.
- 'Bridgegate' threat to Trade Center tower April 23, 2014N.J. Gov. Chris Christie's "Bridgegate" is threatening a deal that would allow developer Larry Silverstein to finish the new World Trade Center tower.
- What burst of M&A activity says about the market April 23, 2014The bull market is seeing the equivalent of its first gray hairs and the proof is in Tuesday's blast of merger activity.
- Why investors keep buying expensive bonds April 23, 2014Bonds are a bad job, with returns relatively meager and prices set to fall, but yield-seeking investors keep pushing money their way.
- Ukraine says Easter truce is over April 23, 2014Ukraine's government has formally ended an Easter truce and is relaunching the "active phase" of an "anti-terrorist operation".
- UK's Primark plans US push, starting with Filene's April 23, 2014The onward march of discount U.K. retailer Primark will continue with its first U.S. store, in the Boston building previously occupied by Filene’s.
- Activist urges ‘fix’ for Silicon Valley April 23, 2014A leading West Coast activist investor has added to the growing criticism of corporate governance in Silicon Valley. The FT reports.
- Comcast nears subscriber deal with Charter April 23, 2014Comcast may divest about 4 million subscribers after its merger with TWC and may sell a portion to Charter.
- This is Chinese tourists’ favorite travel destination April 23, 2014New Zealand topped a list of 22 nations as Chinese tourists' favorite destination for the first time, according to a survey.
- China HSBC flash PMI ticks up, but still in contraction April 23, 2014China's manufacturing activity contracted for a fourth straight month in April, a private survey showed, but the reading showed an improvement from March.
- Tesla's Model S drives into China April 23, 2014As Tesla's Model S finally makes its way to China, CNBC's Eunice Yoon discusses the challenges ahead to get the country's infrastructure up to speed with the car's technology. […]
- Icahn on his legacy—planting activist funds April 22, 2014When asked how much he'd like to invest in seeding new activist funds, Icahn said investing $1 billion would be extremely immaterial to his firm.
- New York judge considers Airbnb subpoena April 22, 2014Peer-to-peer home rental site gets its day in court.
- Cramer hopes Ackman stumbles April 22, 2014Why is Cramer so opposed to the Allergan takeover?
- Citigroup ‘a very high-risk company’: Bove April 22, 2014Citigroup now needs steady leadership, Dick Bove says.
- Enough with adjusted earnings: Investor April 22, 2014Are companies misleading investors on the way they report earnings? Renowned value investor Bob Olstein thinks so.
- Apple earnings: Don't expect surprises April 22, 2014As consumers hold out for the new iPhone 6, investors are waiting for growth. What to look for in Apple's earnings.
- CEO pay is out of line: Jesse Ventura April 22, 2014CEOs and physical laborers should be closer in pay, former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura told CNBC on Tuesday.
- What El Niño means for your wallet April 22, 2014The weather phenomenon is likely to return, possibly bringing enough water to end the severe drought in California.
- P&G third-quarter profit rises April 23, 2014
- Three children found dead in London April 23, 2014A woman is arrested after three children are found dead at a house in south London.
- Cancer teen reaches £1m target April 23, 2014A teenage blogger with terminal cancer raises £1m for charity after posting his final message to followers.
- Cost 'no issue' in plane search April 23, 2014Australia vows it will not abandon the hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, if the current mini-sub search is unsuccessful.
- Scholes returns to help coach Man Utd April 23, 2014Paul Scholes will assist long-time friend Ryan Giggs at Manchester United following the sacking of David Moyes.
- NYPD social media drive backfires April 23, 2014A drive by New York police backfires when people respond to a request to share photos of themselves with officers with a deluge of negative images.
- S Sudan attacks 'an abomination' April 23, 2014The massacre of hundreds of civilians in South Sudan is an "abomination" and a betrayal of the people by their leaders, the White House says.
- Pakistan TV station in shooting row April 23, 2014Pakistan's biggest news channel should be shut for airing claims the country's spies were behind an attack on presenter Hamid Mir, the defence ministry says.
- Primark to open its first US stores April 23, 2014Clothing retailer Primark is to open its first US stores, beginning with a 70,000 sq-ft shop in Boston.
- Violent crime 'continues to fall' April 23, 2014Violent crime is continuing a long-term fall in England and Wales, according to annual figures from NHS hospitals.
- US runs the show in Ukraine - Russia April 23, 2014Russia's foreign minister accuses the US of "running the show" in Ukraine, influencing Kiev's anti-terror operations in the east.
- Eight arguments about whether the UK is a Christian country April 23, 20148 arguments for and against the UK as a Christian country
- UK government hits borrowing target April 23, 2014The UK government borrowed £107.7bn in the financial year to April 2014, lower than the amount it borrowed the previous year.
- Obama pledges Japan islands support April 23, 2014US President Barack Obama tells Japan that islands it disputes with China are covered by a bilateral defence treaty, as he begins an Asian tour.
- More held in S Korea ferry disaster April 23, 2014Authorities in South Korea arrest four more crew members from the ferry that sank last week and raid the offices of companies linked to its owners.
- Top Gear 'regrets' Burma remark April 23, 2014The executive producer of Top Gear expresses regret over a "light-hearted" remark on its Burma special that led to the BBC show being accused of racism.
- Boy, 11, dies after canal pipe fall April 23, 2014An 11-year-old boy who tried to cross a canal balancing on a pipe dies after falling into the water in Lancashire.
- Bomb 'kills senior Egypt policeman' April 23, 2014A senior Egyptian police officer has been killed by a bomb blast in the capital, Cairo, officials say.
- Blair warns West over radical Islam April 23, 2014Tony Blair warns Western leaders they must put aside their differences with Russia over Ukraine to focus on the threat of Islamic extremism.
- Future of the net debated in Brazil April 23, 2014Tensions emerge ahead of a meeting being held in Sao Paulo, Brazil, to discuss changes to the way the internet is governed.
- Everest Sherpas discuss boycott April 23, 2014Sherpa guides in Nepal are meeting climbers at Everest base camp to decide whether to continue ascents after an avalanche on Friday killed 16 of their colleagues.
- Three children found dead in London April 23, 2014
- Militarized police may be in a town near youRise of the warrior cop.Rob Nikolewski
- This land is whose land? Debate over federal land heats up in WestWestern states’ public officials for some time have battled to get control of federal lands back in the hands of the states.Rob Nikolewski
- Intelligence agency fails to report admissions of criminal conduct by employees and contractorsIncluding cases of child molestation, at least one of which was still ongoing.John Hayward
- More bailout money no answer for DetroitExtra money has not been enough to prevent the city's bankruptcy.James M. Hohman
- NBC’s cognitive dissonant hack syndromeNo amount of brand therapy and rehabilitation consulting can fix David Gregory.Michelle Malkin
- Tax delinquents who work for IRS get big bonuses$2.8 million in bonuses to employees with disciplinary problems, including 1,150 who owe back taxes.John Hayward
- Liberate the WestWesterners should not be treated like residents of an occupied territory.Betsy McCaughey
- Privacy, pleaseWe can never tell government to butt out.John Stossel
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan ban on affirmative actionInsisting on equal protection is no longer a violation of the Equal Protection Clause.John Hayward
- From hunters & fishermen to greenies on Earth Day: “You’re quite welcome!”For every taxpayer dollar invested in wildlife conservation, hunters and fishermen contribute nine.Humberto Fontova
- Militarized police may be in a town near you
Sign the Petition here.
Check out Kirk Cameron’s brand new documentary, Unstoppable set for release January 28th. We are working on setting up an interview with Kirk as we continue our transition into Christian ministry.
9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
- 'Bridgegate' scandal threatens next World Trade Center towerNEW YORK (Reuters) - The "Bridgegate" scandal that rocked New Jersey Governor Chris Christie's administration earlier this year is threatening a deal that would allow developer Larry Silverstein to finish building the next World Trade Center skyscraper. […]
- Washington state county eyes building ban after deadly mudslide: reportsSEATTLE (Reuters) - Snohomish County was on Wednesday to consider a six-month ban on new construction in landslide-prone areas countywide after a slide last month that killed 41 people, local media reported. […]
- Dead teen's mother claims negligence in deadly California crash: report(Reuters) - The mother of a 17-year-old student who was among 10 people killed in a highway crash in northern California earlier this month has sued FedEx Corp for negligence, California-based City News Service reported. […]
- Obama visits mudslide-hit community in Washington stateOSO, Washington (Reuters) - President Barack Obama on Tuesday visited the Washington state community slammed by a deadly mudslide last month, offering condolences to the families of victims, encouragement to rescue workers, and promises of government support. […]
- Missouri executes convicted killer in 1993 cattle-stealing plotKANSAS CITY, Missouri (Reuters) - Missouri on Wednesday executed a man who had been convicted in 1993 of murdering an elderly farming couple in a plot to steal their cattle, a state official said. […]
- FBI seeks to identify victims of suspected child molester abroadWASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. authorities have asked the public to help identify as many as 90 possible victims of a suspected child predator who worked at American and other international schools in at least nine countries. […]
- Oklahoma execution halted amid confusion over stay ordersOKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) - Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin issued a one-week stay in the execution of a death row inmate due to die by lethal injection on Tuesday, in a move to clear up confusion over which state body has the final say over executions. […]
- Teen who stowed away on Hawaii flight resting in hospital(Reuters) - A teenage boy who stowed away on a flight from California to Hawaii in the frozen, oxygen-deprived wheel well of a passenger jet was resting in hospital on Tuesday, two days after his death-defying jaunt over the Pacific, a Hawaii official said. […]
- California congressman woos Sriracha pepper sauce factory after odor complaints heat upLOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A U.S. congressman from a Los Angeles community is seeking to lure the factory that makes the bestselling Sriracha-brand hot pepper sauce to his district after residents in its current location complained about the smell. […]
- Group sues U.S. for stronger Idaho, Montana grizzly protectionSALMON, Idaho (Reuters) - Federal protection status for a population of grizzly bears facing extinction in the mountains of Idaho and northwest Montana should be raised to endangered from threatened, environmentalists said in a lawsuit filed on Tuesday. […]
- California bill to curb medical marijuana passes key hurdleSACRAMENTO, California (Reuters) - A measure to regulate California's chaotic medical marijuana industry passed a key legislative hurdle on Tuesday, in a move that could lay the groundwork to tax and control recreational use of the drug if it ultimately becomes legal. […]
- Church deacon, fugitive in 1981 killing, arrested in TexasHARRISBURG, Pennsylvania (Reuters) - A 78-year-old church deacon in Texas has been arrested for a Pennsylvania murder after 33 years as a fugitive, authorities said on Tuesday. […]
- Washington state euthanizes 300 birds after cockfighting farm raidedOLYMPIA, Washington (Reuters) - Washington state authorities have euthanized scores of steroid-filled roosters after raiding a farm and arresting a man on suspicion of raising the birds for cockfighting, prosecutors said on Tuesday. […]
- Ohio man must pay $489,000 for fake distress report: courtCLEVELAND (Reuters) - An Ohio man whose hoax distress call triggered a massive U.S. Coast Guard search and rescue mission on Lake Erie must pay $489,000 in restitution, a U.S. appeals court said Tuesday. […]
- Arizona high court rules pot users must be impaired for DUI charge(Reuters) - Arizona prosecutors cannot charge pot users for driving under the influence of marijuana simply because traces of the drug remain in their bloodstream, without evidence of actual impairment, the state Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday. […]
- New Jersey police officer, suspect wounded during drug buyHACKENSACK, New Jersey (Reuters) - A police detective and a suspect were wounded on Tuesday when gunfire erupted during an undercover drug deal in Garfield, New Jersey, a prosecutor said. […]
- Teen who stowed away on flight to Hawaii remains hospitalized(Reuters) - A teenage boy who stowed away on a flight from California to Hawaii in the frozen, oxygen-deprived wheel well of a passenger jet remained hospitalized on Tuesday, two days after his death-defying jaunt over the Pacific Ocean, a Hawaii official said. […]
- Missouri plans execution after Oklahoma stay over drug secrecyKANSAS CITY, Missouri (Reuters) - The Supreme Court on Tuesday refused to stay the execution of a death row inmate in Missouri whose attorneys had argued that Missouri's secrecy around its lethal injection drugs could result in undue suffering. […]
- U.S. top court upholds Michigan ban on college affirmative actionWASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday further undermined the use of racial preferences in higher education by upholding a voter-approved Michigan law that banned the practice in decisions on which students to admit to state universities. […]
- Colorado lawmakers move to tighten edible marijuana lawsDENVER (Reuters) - Colorado lawmakers are moving to tighten laws governing the sale of marijuana-infused edibles, an issue that has gained attention following two deaths possibly linked to the ingestion of cannabis products, the measures' main sponsor said on Tuesday. […]
- 'Bridgegate' scandal threatens next World Trade Center tower
- E-Z-GO recalls 30,000 vehiclesBrooks HaysWASHINGTON, April 22 (UPI) -- Roughly 30,000 vehicles, mostly golf carts and buggies, were recalled Tuesday by maker E-Z-GO due to safety issues. […]
- Prince William, Kate Middleton visit Australia's UluruKate StantonALICE SPRINGS, Australia, April 22 (UPI) -- The royal family continued their three-week tour of Australia and New Zealand with a visit to Uluru. […]
- Newborn abandoned in trash can survives, mother chargedJC SevcikGREENVILLE, S.C., April 22 (UPI) -- Newborn infant found abandoned in a trash can is alive and in good condition, its mother arrested and charged with attempted murder and unlawful neglect. […]
- Obama invites local band to hang out after they play for his presidential motorcadeJC SevcikPITTSBURGH, April 22 (UPI) -- Comfort Tech, a local Pittsburgh band that decided to serenade the presidential motorcade as it rolled past their house got the chance to meet President Obama. […]
- Man convicted of killing young girl half a century after fact files appealFrances BurnsSPRINGFIELD, Ill., April 22 (UPI) -- A former Illinois police officer convicted a half-century after the fact of killing a young girl has asked a state appeals court to give him a new trial. […]
- Obama stops to tour mudslide site in Washington en route to AsiaFrances BurnsEVERETT, Wash., April 22 (UPI) -- President Obama visited the site of the deadly Washington State mudslide Tuesday as he headed to Asia for a week-long trip. […]
- World's fastest elevator to be built in ChinaAileen GraefGUANGZHOU, China, April 22 (UPI) -- The world's fastest elevator is being built at the CTF Financial Center in Guangzhou, China and will be able reach speeds up to 45 miles per hour. […]
- FBI: Teacher at U.S. international schools may have molested hundredsFrances BurnsHOUSTON, April 22 (UPI) -- A teacher at international schools around the world may have molested hundreds of teenage boys after drugging them with sleeping pills, the FBI said Tuesday. […]
- Ku Klux Klan establishes neighborhood watch in PennsylvaniaJC SevcikFAIRVIEW TOWNSHIP, Pa., April 22 (UPI) -- The Ku Klux Klan distributed fliers announcing its neighborhood watch program in Fairview Township, Pennsylvania in response to a recent crime wave in the area. […]
- Saudi prince kills about 2,000 endangered birds on safariAileen GraefCHAGAI, Pakistan, April 22 (UPI) -- Prince Fahd bin Sultan bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud killed almost 2,000 nearly extinct hourbara bustards while on a 21-day hunting trip in Pakistan. […]
- Young woman who allegedly pointed gun shot and killed by Albuquerque police officerFrances BurnsALBUQUERQUE, April 22 (UPI) -- A retired judge's daughter is the first person to be killed by Albuquerque police since a critical U.S. Justice Department report. […]
- Biden wraps up Ukraine visit as concerns over Russian invasion increaseAileen GraefKIEV, Ukraine, April 22 (UPI) -- Vice President Joe Biden finished his trip in Ukraine pledging U.S. support to the fledgling government as the threat of Russian invasion heightens. […]
- Respect the choices of people with disabilities, U.N. panel saysEd Adamczyk UNITED NATIONS, April 22 (UPI) -- People with disabilities have the same rights to make choices as the able-bodied, a United Nations committee stressed in new guidelines. […]
- U.N. urges Syria to hold off presidential electionsJC FinleyNEW YORK, April 22 (UPI) -- In response to an announcement by the Syrian government that presidential elections will be held June 3, the United Nations urged Damascus to reconsider. […]
- China shuts down online porn sitesEd AdamczykBEIJING, April 22 (UPI) -- A campaign in China called “Cleaning the Web 2014” has shut down 110 websites carrying pornography and closed 3,000 social media accounts. […]
- U.S. investigators: Better regulation could have prevented deadly fertilizer explosionFrances BurnsDALLAS, April 22 (UPI) -- The owners of a West, Texas fertilizer plant and regulators failed to take steps to prevent the deadly April 18 explosion, the U.S. Chemical Safety Board said. […]
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan affirmative action banGabrielle LevyWASHINGTON, April 22 (UPI) -- The Supreme Court ruled Tuesday in favor of a voter-approved Michigan law banning affirmative action in college admissions, overturning a lower court decision. […]
- Egypt's proposed anti-terror legislation could broaden definition of 'terrorism'JC FinleyCAIRO, April 22 (UPI) -- The Egyptian cabinet is considering imposing new draft anti-terrorism legislation that would broaden the definition of terrorism and impose harsher penalties. […]
- VKontakte founder: Social media site under Kremlin controlAileen GraefMOSCOW, April 22 (UPI) -- Pavel Durov, founder of VKontakte, claims he has been removed from his position and the Russian government has taken control of the website. […]
- Detroit judge picks Boston firm and NY lawyer to advise on bankruptcy plansAnanth BaligaDETROIT, April 22 (UPI) -- A bankruptcy judge has tapped Martha Kopacz of Phoenix Management Services and New York lawyer Richard Ravitch as consultants for Detroit's bankruptcy plan. […]
- E-Z-GO recalls 30,000 vehicles
- My Little Pony sales fuel Hasbro's earnings growthKate StantonNEW YORK, April 22 (UPI) -- Hasbro beat first-quarter expectations, thanks in large part to a My Little Pony comeback. […]
- Jacobs Engineering acquiring Federal Network SystemsRichard TomkinsPASADENA, Calif., April 22 (UPI) -- Jacobs Engineering announced its planned acquisition of Federal Network Systems. […]
- Lytro unveils professional-grade Illum camera that can focus a picture after shooting itAnanth BaligaMOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., April 22 (UPI) -- Lytro has unveiled another professional grade light field vision camera called Illum, improving on its kaleidoscope-shaped model launched in 2011. […]
- Saudis seek FMS support dealRichard TomkinsWASHINGTON, April 22 (UPI) -- The U.S. Defense Security Cooperation Agency has reported a possible $80 million Foreign Military Sale deal to Saudi Arabia. […]
- Harris supplying more communications terminals to NavyRichard TomkinsMELBOURNE, Fla., April 22 (UPI) -- Harris Corporation received a $133 million order from the US Navy for as many as 122 shipboard high-bandwidth voice and data communications terminals. […]
- Sikorsky, Army demonstrate optionally piloted Black HawkRichard TomkinsSTRATFORD, Conn., April 22 (UPI) -- Sikorsky Aircraft and the U.S. Army have flown a remotely-piloted variant of the UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter. […]
- Boeing labor dispute settled by arbitrationRichard TomkinsPALMDALE, Calif., April 22 (UPI) -- Nearly 500 former and current Boeing employees are to receive cash payouts from Boeing after a 13-year labor dispute. […]
- U.S. existing home sales fall, hit 18-month lowAnanth BaligaWASHINGTON, April 22 (UPI) -- Existing home sales in the U.S. dipped slightly in March, falling for the third straight month and bringing their volumes to lowest levels since July 2012. […]
- Activist investor William Ackman and Valeant attempt to take over botox maker AllerganAnanth BaligaIRVINE, Calif., April 22 (UPI) -- Valeant Pharmaceuticals has offered to buy Allergan for at $45.7 billion in a cash and stock deal, in partnership with activist investor William Ackman. […]
- Baker Hughes, Aker Solutions join forces offshoreDaniel J. GraeberHOUSTON, April 22 (UPI) -- Oil services company Baker Hughes said Tuesday it formed an alliance with energy contractor Aker Solutions to improve recovery rates from offshore fields. […]
- OTO Melara demos DART projectiles for its 76mm gunRichard TomkinsLA SPEZIA, Italy, April 22 (UPI) -- OTO Melara of Italy reports its first batch of DART 76mm guided ammunition for its Strales gun system tested successfully. […]
- Pacific islands need focus on renewables, EU saysDaniel J. GraeberBRUSSELS, April 22 (UPI) -- Renewable energy for Pacific island nations will help fight climate change and stimulate the region's economy, the European development commissioner said. […]
- Lundin spent millions on dry holesDaniel J. GraeberSTOCKHOLM, Sweden, April 22 (UPI) -- Swedish energy company Lundin Petroleum said Tuesday it spent roughly $127 million on exploration programs during the first quarter of the year without success. […]
- CNOOC boasts of 1st quarter successDaniel J. GraeberBEIJING, April 22 (UPI) -- China National Offshore Oil Corp. made "significant progress" with its exploration program during the first quarter, its chief executive officer said. […]
- Crimea cut off from gas, leader saysDaniel J. GraeberSEVASTOPOL, Ukraine, April 22 (UPI) -- A pro-Russian leader in the Crimean Peninsula of Ukraine said the region was receiving less than its fair share of natural gas. […]
- Suncor starts maintenance work in MontrealDaniel J. GraeberCALGARY, Alberta, April 22 (UPI) -- Canadian refiner Suncor Energy said it started a four-week maintenance period at its facility in Montreal, which can process 137,000 barrels of oil per day. […]
- Kurdish government releases energy revenue dataDaniel J. GraeberERBIL, Iraq, April 22 (UPI) -- "Billions of dollars" generated from the oil and gas sector have benefited the citizens of the Kurdish region of Iraq, the Kurdish government said. […]
- African Petroleum extends licenses in Ivory CoastDaniel J. GraeberLONDON, April 22 (UPI) -- African Petroleum Corp. said Tuesday it secured an extension for its exploration program for two areas in the deep waters offshore Ivory Coast. […]
- U.S. defends Keystone XL delayDaniel J. GraeberWASHINGTON, April 22 (UPI) -- Extending the review process for the Keystone XL pipeline was proper given ongoing uncertainty about the route through Nebraska, the U.S. State Department said. […]
- Apple takes shot at Samsung with new Earth Day adEvan BleierLONDON, April 22 (UPI) -- Earth Day advertisement from Apple takes shot at Samsung with phrase, "There are some ideas we want every company to copy." […]
- My Little Pony sales fuel Hasbro's earnings growth