- Bank of America swings to a loss April 16, 2014Bank of America posted a first-quarter loss as the No. 2 U.S. bank recorded $6 billion in litigation expenses.
- Stage set for another volatile trading day April 16, 2014Fed speak may trump a bundle of big earnings reports and economic data expected Wednesday, guaranteeing another volatile trading day.
- Bitcoin's Mt. Gox placed into administration April 16, 2014Bitcoin exchange has had its plans to rebuild the company rejected by a Tokyo court and has been placed into administration.
- Obama to announce $600M for job grants April 16, 2014President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden are hitting the road to trumpet $600 million in new competitive grants to spur job creation.
- Behind bitcoin: An avid group tries to spread word April 16, 2014Mostly under-30 revolutionaries believe their mission is to spread the word of bitcoin and its power.
- Rivals show force in eastern Ukraine April 16, 2014Ukrainian government forces and separatist pro-Russian militia staged rival shows of force in eastern Ukraine on Wednesday.
- Starbucks to relocate European HQ to UK: Report April 16, 2014Starbucks said it decided to move its European headquarters to the U.K. from the Netherlands following criticism over its low tax payments, The Times reported.
- Clone wars: How start-ups take on copycats April 16, 2014Start-ups often find it tough to protect their ideas, especially when faced with so-called "clone factories." But most are unfazed.
- Great Rotation gives way to Asset Reflation April 16, 2014Many stock markets around the world are at or near their highest levels ever, so perhaps a correction is on the cards. The asset class that benefits most in this environment is fixed income.
- US colleges loved abroad, not at home? April 16, 2014Parents around the globe consider the U.S. one of best places to send their kids to university, but U.S. parents aren't so sure.
- China GDP quells worst fears over the economy April 16, 2014China's first quarter GDP numbers have quelled the worst fears of a hard landing, with economists forecasting a growth pickup.
- Alibaba seen filing for US IPO next week April 16, 2014Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group is expected to file the prospectus for its U.S. initial public offering next week, sources said on Wednesday.
- This is how much Samsung's Galaxy S5 costs to build April 16, 2014Samsung Electronics is spending more to build its new flagship Galaxy S5 than the previous model despite a slowdown in the high-end smartphone market.
- The rite of healing for ‘broken city’ April 16, 2014Boston was a small town on Tuesday as it mourned the losses it suffered in carnage a year ago.
- Ukraine launches 'gradual' operation April 15, 2014Ukrainian forces launched a "special operation" on Tuesday against separatist militia in the Russian-speaking East.
- Cramer: What do pros fear? April 15, 2014What exactly does the market fear?
- US warns Beijing over currency April 15, 2014The Obama administration on Tuesday told Beijing it was watching the value of China's currency closely.
- This may dim US housing recovery April 15, 2014Land shortage may provide an unforeseen roadblock to U.S. housing market's full comeback.
- Twitter shares jump April 15, 2014Shares of Twitter closed up nearly 12 percent Monday after the company said it was buying Gnip and announced a key hire from Google.
- Nasdaq sees biggest one-day swing in five years April 15, 2014The Nasdaq staged a more than 2 percent rally back from the brink of correction territory Tuesday in the biggest turnaround in five years.
- Bank of America swings to a loss April 16, 2014
- Remittance fees 'hurt Africans' April 16, 2014Communities in sub-Saharan Africa are being "hurt" by high fees charged by money transfer operators, charity Comic Relief says.
- Coulson 'listened to MP voicemails' April 16, 2014Ex-editor Andy Coulson reveals in court for the first time he did listen to private voicemail messages relating to former home secretary David Blunkett.
- MtGox exchange put in administration April 16, 2014The Bitcoin exchange MtGox has been placed in administration by a Japanese court and it is expected that bankruptcy proceedings will be started.
- Head of oldest African park shot April 16, 2014The Belgian director of the Democratic Republic of Congo's famous Virunga National Park is shot and critically wounded in an ambush.
- Hard-disk firm warns of data breach April 16, 2014French hard-disk maker LaCie warns that shoppers' credit cards details and logins may have been stolen from its store over a one-year period.
- Former Co-op boss faces drug charges April 16, 2014Paul Flowers, the former chairman of the Co-operative Bank and ex-Methodist Church minister, is charged with three counts of drug possession.
- 'Shocking' rise in use of food banks April 16, 2014Hundreds of thousands more people are turning to food banks to stop themselves from going hungry, says charity the Trussell Trust.
- Many missing as S Korea ferry sinks April 16, 2014Almost 300 people remain unaccounted for after a ferry carrying 459 people capsized and sank off South Korea, officials say.
- Venezuela rejects protest amnesty April 16, 2014The Venezuelan government says it will not grant jailed opposition leaders an amnesty at talks aimed at ending anti-government protests.
- Paul Weller wins damages from Mail April 16, 2014Rock musician Paul Weller wins £10,000 in damages after the Mail Online published pictures of his children.
- VIDEO: The end of the beard is nigh April 16, 2014The end of the beard is nigh - not according to fashion stylists, but to evolutionary biologists.
- Beard trend 'guided by evolution' April 16, 2014The boom and bust of men's beard fashions may mirror Darwinian selection, scientists say.
- Ukraine troops enter eastern town April 16, 2014Ukrainian troops entering Kramatorsk have been blocked by pro-Russia civilians, as tension escalates across the region.
- Average wages overtake inflation April 16, 2014After nearly six years of falling living standards, weekly earnings have finally edged above inflation, according to the Office for National Statistics.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News April 16, 2014Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- Saudi intelligence chief removed April 16, 2014Saudi Arabia's intelligence chief, Prince Bandar bin Sultan, has been removed from his post "at his own request", state media report.
- Man City players 'best paid in sport' April 16, 2014Premier League players at Manchester City are the best paid in global sport, according to a recently published report.
- Czech bottle-boat inventors crave the sea April 16, 2014Landlocked Czechs build boat from bottles
- Forensics examined in Pistorius case April 16, 2014A forensics expert continues to testify at Oscar Pistorius' murder trial in South Africa a day after the athlete finished his seven days of testimony.
- William praises Australia on visit April 16, 2014The Duke of Cambridge brands Australia a "beacon of confidence" as he and his family begin the next leg of their Antipodean tour.
- Remittance fees 'hurt Africans' April 16, 2014
- IRS documents show Lois Lerner wanted to sic the Justice Department on targeted conservative groupsThe level of coordination between the IRS and Democrats grows more clear with each new revelation.John Hayward
- Catholic parents beg Mass. DCF to let their hostage daughter celebrate Easter, file ‘habeas corpus’ motionDemocratic Massachusetts Gov. Deval L. Patrick could end this family's nightmare with one phone call or the single stoke of his pen.Raquel Okyay
- Democrats’ ideas hurt the people they’re supposed to helpThis fall, Republicans will ask the voters, "Haven't we suffered enough?"Donald Lambro
- How modernity ‘radicalizes’ Western MuslimsWestern principles articulated through an Islamic paradigm lead to abominations.Raymond Ibrahim
- Hillary leans on Bill and Barack to sell presidencyThe "relay race" theme allows Hillary Clinton to surf on her husband's and her old boss' accomplishments.Byron York
- IRS considers taxing ‘work perks’Just what America needed: more taxes, more paperwork, more enforcers.John Hayward
- What Senator Leahy and the AP aren’t telling youSen. Patrick Leahy champions internet freedom every place on earth but Cuba. Why?Humberto Fontova
- The spector of state-sponsored ‘patent trolls’It is increasingly difficult for even the most innovative firms to succeed.Horace Cooper
- Earth dazePoverty, not fossil fuels, is the real threat to the people of the world.John Stossel
- Equality in disciplineLet's examine some of the absurdity of the Obama administration's take on student discipline.Walter Williams
- IRS documents show Lois Lerner wanted to sic the Justice Department on targeted conservative groups
Sign the Petition here.
Check out Kirk Cameron’s brand new documentary, Unstoppable set for release January 28th. We are working on setting up an interview with Kirk as we continue our transition into Christian ministry.
9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
- Obama to announce $600 million U.S. job-training initiativeWASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama will announce an initiative on Wednesday to devote $600 million to address a central challenge of today's economy: How to train workers for skills they need for jobs that are open but hard to fill. […]
- Voices of gratitude, defiance at Boston bombing memorialBOSTON (Reuters) - U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, local leaders and officials and survivors of the Boston Marathon bombing shared messages of thanks and defiance on Tuesday at a tribute to the three people killed and 264 wounded in the attack exactly one year ago. […]
- Two vessels collide, others grounded amid gusting winds off Virginia coast(Reuters) - A rig vessel and a container ship collided in a shipping channel in the Chesapeake Bay, off the Virginia coast, on Tuesday amid gusting winds blamed for causing a bulk carrier to run aground and a dozen other ships to drag anchor, the U.S. Coast Guard said. […]
- Michigan, White House discuss federal money for bankrupt Detroit: report(Reuters) - Michigan officials and President Barack Obama's Administration are discussing a plan to free up $100 million in federal money to aid Detroit's retired city workers, the Detroit Free Press reported on Tuesday. […]
- Death toll from Washington state mudslide rises to 37OLYMPIA, Washington (Reuters) - The official death toll from a mudslide that buried a river valley neighborhood in the Cascade foothills of Washington state last month rose to 37 on Tuesday, after search teams extricated another body from the mud and rubble. […]
- Bill signed allowing surprise inspections of Arizona abortion clinicsPHOENIX (Reuters) - Arizona Governor Jan Brewer on Tuesday signed into a law a bill allowing state health authorities to conduct surprise inspections of abortion clinics without first obtaining a warrant, handing another victory to abortion foes. […]
- Hundreds of earthquakes strike central Idaho, rattling nervesSALMON, Idaho (Reuters) - Hundreds of low-level and medium-sized earthquakes have struck central Idaho since last month, puzzling geologists who wonder whether the ruptures portend a much larger temblor to come or are merely the rumblings of a seismic fault previously thought to be dormant. […]
- Two incompatible gun ballot measures lead in Washington stateOLYMPIA, Washington (Reuters) - Two incompatible ballot measures on background checks for gun buyers in Washington state enjoy majority support in a poll released on Tuesday, but the one advancing stricter gun controls is more popular. […]
- NY City police disband unit that monitored Muslim communities: reportNEW YORK (Reuters) - The New York Police Department has disbanded a surveillance unit that targeted and monitored Muslim communities, The New York Times reported on Tuesday. […]
- Voices of gratitude, defiance at Boston bombing memorialBOSTON (Reuters) - U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, other leaders and survivors of the Boston Marathon bombing shared messages of thanks and defiance on Tuesday at a tribute to the three people killed and 264 wounded in the attack exactly one year ago. […]
- Handless cleric's own words to be used against him in U.S. trialNEW YORK (Reuters) - Prosecutors can use radical preacher Abu Hamza al-Masri's own inflammatory words against him during his trial in New York on terrorism-related charges, including praise for Osama bin Laden and for the September 11, 2001, attacks, a federal judge ruled on Tuesday. […]
- Americans increasingly prefer Democrats on healthcare: Reuters/Ipsos pollWASHINGTON (Reuters) - Americans increasingly think Democrats have a better plan for healthcare than Republicans, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll conducted after the White House announced that more people than expected had signed up for the "Obamacare" health plan. […]
- Ex-U.S. defense secretary knows accuracy of his tax return is unknownWASHINGTON (Reuters) - Donald Rumsfeld has a new addition to his list of known unknowns - the accuracy of his 2013 tax filing. […]
- Despite tough patch, U.S. intelligence chief says he is stayingTAMPA, Florida (Reuters) - Despite enduring "a perfect storm" of troubles for U.S. spy agencies over the last 18 months, the director of national intelligence announced on Tuesday that he plans to stay on the job through the end of President Barack Obama's term. […]
- Bankrupt Detroit reaches first deal with retirees group(Reuters) - Detroit reached its first deal with a retired workers group on Tuesday over pension and healthcare benefits and was close to a deal with at least one of its pension funds, giving a major boost to the city's plan to exit bankruptcy in October. […]
- Missouri man charged with sexually torturing five women(Reuters) - A Missouri man has been charged with raping and torturing five women in a St. Louis-area apartment over several years, law enforcement officials said on Tuesday. […]
- Man in videotaped protest inside Supreme Court pleads guiltyWASHINGTON (Reuters) - A protester who disrupted a Supreme Court proceeding in February, and whose shouts at the justices were secretly recorded on a video that was later posted online, pleaded guilty on Tuesday to a misdemeanor offense. […]
- Obama commutes sentence of man mistakenly given extra jail timeWASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama on Tuesday shortened the prison sentence of a Texas man who was mistakenly sentenced to an extra three and a half years in jail due to a typographical error. […]
- White supremacist charged with murder in Kansas shootingsOVERLAND PARK, Kansas (Reuters) - The suspect in the killing of three people at two Jewish facilities near Kansas City over the weekend could face the death penalty on state murder charges filed Tuesday, prosecutors said. […]
- Suspects denied bail in kidnapping of N.C. prosecutor's fatherATLANTA (Reuters) - Five people charged with kidnapping a North Carolina prosecutor's father in an elaborate plot orchestrated by an imprisoned gang member were ordered held without bail at a detention hearing on Tuesday, U.S. officials said. […]
- Obama to announce $600 million U.S. job-training initiative
- South Korea ferry sinks with more than 470 on board, at least 2 deadKate StantonSEOUL, April 16 (UPI) -- A ferry carrying more than 300 high school students capsized off the coast of South Korea. […]
- Boston police investigate unattended backpacks near marathon finish lineKate StantonBOSTON, April 15 (UPI) -- Boston authorities have evacuated part of Boylston Street near the finish line. […]
- Calgary stabbings: 5 dead in house party stabbing spreeKate StantonCALGARY, Alberta, April 15 (UPI) -- The suspect has been identified as Matthew de Grood, the son of a veteran police officer. […]
- Mary Fallin signs ban on minimum wage increase in OklahomaJC SevcikOKLAHOMA CITY, April 15 (UPI) -- Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin, R, signs bill passing statewide ban on raising the minimum wage and prohibiting legislation mandating employee benefits. […]
- Chelsea Clinton says she could run for NYC mayor or U.S. SenateKate StantonNEW YORK, April 15 (UPI) -- Hillary Clinton's daughter is still leaving the door open for public office. […]
- Man who didn't serve prison sentence due to clerical error arrested 15 years laterJC SevcikST. LOUIS, April 15 (UPI) -- A man convicted to prison who was never given a date to surrender to the penal system went on to start a family and a business is arrested years later. […]
- Pro-Russian protesters remove emblem from government building in UkraineAileen GraefSLOVIANSK, Ukraine, April 15 (UPI) -- Pro-Russian activists who are occupying government buildings in Sloviansk removed the Ukrainian coat of arms and flag from the front of city hall Tuesday. […]
- Police say teenage girls missing since 1971 died in car crashFrances BurnsELK POINT, S.D., April 15 (UPI) -- Two teenage girls missing for 43 years were killed when their car crashed into a South Dakota creek, authorities said Tuesday. […]
- Clearing road blocked by Washington mudslide could take monthsFrances BurnsOLYMPIA, Wash., April 15 (UPI) -- Clearing the road blocked by the Oso mudslide could take as long as three months, the Washington Department of Transportation said Tuesday. […]
- Rand Paul, Ted Cruz test waters for 2016 presidential bidsAileen GraefMANCHESTER, N.H., April 15 (UPI) -- Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., and Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, tested the waters for the 2016 presidential race at a Tea Party Freedom Summit in New Hampshire. […]
- Utah man says good preparation saved his sons when separated in wildernessFrances BurnsSALT LAKE CITY, April 15 (UPI) -- A Utah man says his sons knew what to do when he got separated from them after the family got lost in the wilderness. […]
- Latvia bans Russian state television, plans new Russian-language channelEd AdamczykRIGA , Latvia, April 15 (UPI) -- Latvia's three-month ban of Russian state television entered its second week, with Latvia Television announcing the creation of a Russian-language channel. […]
- Obama uses presidential power to correct typo, reduce man's prison sentenceJC SevcikWASHINGTON, April 15 (UPI) -- Proving the importance of proofreading, President Obama commuted the sentence of a prisoner who was serving extra time due to a typo. […]
- Florida Democrat Alex Sink declines rematch with Rep. David Jolly, winner of special electionFrances BurnsTAMPA, Fla., April 15 (UPI) -- Alex Sink, the Democrat who lost a close race for Florida governor in 2010, said she does not plan a rematch of last month's special election for Congress. […]
- Abu Ghraib prison is closed, Iraq saysEd Adamczyk BAGHDAD, April 15 (UPI) -- The Abu Ghraib prison, site of a notorious prisoner abuse scandal, is closed because of fears it could be overrun by Sunni insurgents. […]
- Indian Supreme Court rules in favor of gender self-identificationJC FinleyNEW DELHI, April 15 (UPI) -- India's Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that citizens are free to self-identify their gender. […]
- Documents show close friend joined interviews of Gov. Christie for internal reviewFrances BurnsTRENTON, N.J., April 15 (UPI) -- Lawyers who investigated the "Bridgegate" scandal for New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie apparently did not record interviews, documents released this week show. […]
- Call for removal of Russian tanks from Berlin World War II memorialEd Adamczyk BERLIN, April 15 (UPI) -- Two German newspapers, citing Russian aggression against Ukraine, called for the removal of two Russian tanks from a World War II memorial in Berlin Tuesday. […]
- Syrian opposition urges U.S. action after Aleppo 'genocide'Aileen GraefALEPPO, Syria, April 15 (UPI) -- The head of the Syrian National Coalition has asked the U.S. and other nations to take action to stop the "genocide" after bombings in Aleppo. […]
- U.N., U.S. applaud Guinea-Bissau on presidential and parliamentary electionsJC FinleyNEW YORK, April 15 (UPI) -- The UN and the U.S. congratulated Guinea-Bissau on its timely and orderly presidential and parliamentary elections. […]
- South Korea ferry sinks with more than 470 on board, at least 2 dead
- Mozilla appoints CMO Chris Beard as interim CEOAnanth BaligaMOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., April 15 (UPI) -- Mozilla appointed Chris Beard to the board of directors and as its new acting CEO, following the controversy surrounding the the ouster of Brendan Eich. […]
- Consumer prices rise 0.2%, Americans paying more for food and rentAnanth BaligaWASHINGTON, April 15 (UPI) -- Americans paid more for food and rent as the consumer price index inched up by 0.2 percent for the month of March, as the Fed contemplates increasing rates. […]
- Yellen: Fed considering tougher rules for big banksAnanth BaligaSTONE MOUNTAIN , Ga., April 15 (UPI) -- Fed Chairwoman Janet Yellen indicated that the central bank was considering tougher rules for big banks, including stronger capital and liquidity standards. […]
- Group to spearhead German wind farm programDaniel J. GraeberBERLIN, April 15 (UPI) -- A consortium between British contractor Petrofac and Germany's Siemens said Tuesday it won a contract to help develop the BorWin3 wind farm in the North Sea. […]
- GDF Suez optimizes LNG deliveriesDaniel J. GraeberPARIS, April 15 (UPI) -- French energy company GDF Suez said Tuesday it optimized its shipping capacities of liquefied natural gas by splitting deliveries between two charters. […]
- Lukoil sells stake in Kazakh development to SinopecDaniel J. GraeberMOSCOW, April 15 (UPI) -- Russian oil company Lukoil said Tuesday it sold its 50 percent stake in Kazakh projects to China Petroleum & Chemical Corp for $1.2 billion. […]
- Alaska welcomes LNG export approvalDaniel J. GraeberWASHINGTON, April 15 (UPI) -- U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, welcomed an Energy Department decision to approve exports from a liquefied natural gas plant near Kenai, Alaska. […]
- Shale oil, gas production to increase, EIA saysDaniel J. GraeberWASHINGTON, April 15 (UPI) -- Oil production and natural gas production from the six prominent shale basins in the United States should increase in May, a U.S. drilling report said. […]
- RWE reverses gas flow from Poland to UkraineDaniel J. GraeberESSEN, Germany, April 15 (UPI) -- German energy company RWE said Tuesday it reversed the flow of natural gas from Poland to supply a Ukrainian market under the Kremlin's influence. […]
- Canadian oil sector may lean on railDaniel J. GraeberCALGARY, Alberta, April 15 (UPI) -- Oil producers in Canada will look to rail to carry reserves to U.S. refiners and Asian markets, the director of the Canadian Energy Research Institute said. […]
- GenDyn Canada enhancing Portuguese Navy sonarRichard TomkinsOTTAWA, April 15 (UPI) -- Sonar on Portuguese Navy frigates are being enhanced by General Dynamics Canada. […]
- TAP pipeline seeks construction, pipe bidsDaniel J. GraeberZUG, Switzerland, April 15 (UPI) -- The consortium managing the planned Trans-Adriatic Pipeline for Europe said Tuesday it is looking for pipe and engineering contracts for the project. […]
- Angola invites bidders to onshore oil fieldsDaniel J. GraeberLUANDA, Angola, April 15 (UPI) -- Angola's state-owned energy company Sonangol said it would start the tender process for 10 new terrestrial blocks at the end of May. […]
- Iran ready to help Europe with natural gasDaniel J. GraeberTEHRAN, April 15 (UPI) -- The European community could look to Iran as a reliable partner as it struggles to add layer of security to its energy sector, Iran's trade minister said. […]
- Safran touts R&D resultsRichard TomkinsPARIS, April 15 (UPI) -- Safran gains second highest number of patents in France. […]
- Comtech continues Blue Force Tracking supportRichard TomkinsMELVILLE, N.Y., April 15 (UPI) -- Army taps Comtech Mobile Datacom Corporation for continued support of its Blue Force Tracking system and for continued use of its intellectual property. […]
- Alpine to release CarPlay-enabled console this fallAnanth BaligaCUPERTINO, Calif., April 14 (UPI) -- Car electronics manufacturer Alpine will begin selling standalone aftermarket audio consoles that support Apple's new CarPlay interface for vehicles. […]
- Two senior GM executives leave amid recall crisisAnanth BaligaDETROIT, April 14 (UPI) -- Two members of GM chief executive Mary Barra's management team are leaving the company, as she revamps her leadership team after taking over in January. […]
- Google buys drone maker Titan Aerospace, Facebook had shown interestAnanth BaligaMOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., April 14 (UPI) -- Google has agreed to buy solar-powered drone maker Titan Aerospace for an undisclosed sum, beating Facebook who was also interested in the acquisition. […]
- Android devices still awaiting Heartbleed fixAnanth BaligaMOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., April 14 (UPI) -- More than a third of Android users on the Jelly Bean version of the OS are still waiting a patch for the Heartbleed bug, which was revealed last week. […]
- Mozilla appoints CMO Chris Beard as interim CEO