- Nikkei gains 1.6% early, as bank stocks weigh on ASX June 27, 2016Asia markets opened mixed on Monday, as traders continue to digest the U.K.'s unexpected vote to leave the EU.
- UK opposition Labour Party in crisis June 26, 2016Members of the shadow cabinet have resigned in protest over leader Jeremy Corbyn's failure to persuade voters to back a remain campaign.
- Japan PM: We'll take steps to calm FX markets if needed June 26, 2016Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says he's told Finance Minister Taro Aso to watch currency markets and take steps if necessary.
- Surging yen raises risk for Japan June 26, 2016Brexit fears have sent the yen surging. Tokyo, we have a problem.
- UK referendum woes send US stock futures, pound sharply lower June 26, 2016U.S. stock futures opened to the downside in early trading Sunday.
- Zandi hits Trump on recession June 26, 2016Moody's Analytics chief economist Mark Zandi explains why Trump's economic plan would cause a recession.
- Brexit to stop UK cameras rolling? June 26, 2016Brexit hammered the stocks of large U.K. media companies, amid fears about the impact on their business.
- Spain's PP falls short of majority June 26, 2016Spain's PP appears to have been denied an absolute majority, the FT reports.
- Wall Street joins robo-advisor battle June 26, 2016Increasingly, Wall Street is launching stand-alone digital financial advice products.
- Clinton's slim poll lead over Trump June 26, 2016Hillary Clinton holds a five-point advantage over Republican Donald Trump after becoming the presumptive presidential nominee, NBC reports.
- 3M petition for Brexit do-over June 26, 2016At least 3 million voters are demanding a re-vote of the referendum that took the U.K. out of the European Union.
- Gun control's new political weapon June 26, 2016A gun control sit-in by Democrats broadcast on Twitter's Periscope could turn social into a filibuster of the future.
- Markets notch historic loss on Brexit June 26, 2016The U.K.'s referendum to leave the European Union was a costly decision in more ways than one.
- 'Entire EU could unravel', expert says June 26, 2016The head of the Council on Foreign Relations tells CNBC why the U.K.'s vote may spell the end of the European unity project.
- Banks begin moving operations out of Britain June 26, 2016Banks have already begun to take action to shift operations out of the UK, the Financial Times reports.
- EU disintegration 'irreversible': Soros June 26, 2016Brexit is hastening the dissolution of Europe, and makes a global crisis more likely, George Soros wrote.
- Spain goes to the polls - again June 26, 2016Anti-austerity Podemos expected to make big gains in Spain's parliamentary election, potentially delivering a fresh jolt to Europe's politics.
- Brexit a gift for Yellen: Schiff June 25, 2016Relentless Fed critic Peter Schiff explained to CNBC why the U.K.'s vote on Europe may give the Fed cover in managing rate expectations.
- 11 cool gadgets to boost your sleep June 25, 2016Whether you're a new parent, an insomniac or have a lot on your mind, you're likely tired of being tired. These 11 tools can help.
- Expert: 'Euro will be gone in 3-5 years' June 25, 2016Fallout from the U.K.'s shock referendum could have big spillover effects on Europe's single currency.
- Nikkei gains 1.6% early, as bank stocks weigh on ASX June 27, 2016
- Spanish election: PP wins most seats but deadlock remains June 27, 2016The conservative People's Party of PM Mariano Rajoy wins most seats in Spain's election but is again short of a majority.
- Pound falls further over Brexit fears June 26, 2016The pound falls in Asian trading on Monday, adding to Friday's record one-day decline for sterling.
- Pope Francis says Church should apologise to gays June 26, 2016Pope Francis says the Roman Catholic Church should apologise to gay people for the way it has treated them.
- UK post-Brexit opposition crisis deepens June 26, 2016Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn says he will stand as a candidate in any new leadership election and reshape his shadow cabinet over the next 24 hours.
- Schezwan dosa anyone? June 26, 2016Food writer Samar Halarnkar explains what Indians have done to Chinese and other cuisines of the world.
- First voyage through expanded Panama canal June 26, 2016A Chinese container ship has become the first vessel to sail into the newly expanded Panama Canal.
- England at Euro 2016: Why we will beat Iceland - Danny Murphy June 26, 2016'We will open Iceland up' - BBC pundit Danny Murphy gives his verdict on England's opponents in the last 16 at Euro 2016.
- 50 years on June 26, 2016Fifty years ago this week Barclaycard issued the first credit cards in the UK. Simon Read looks at how the plastic card changed our relationship with money.
- IS claims suicide attack against Jordanian troops June 26, 2016The so-called Islamic State group says it carried out a suicide attack that killed six Jordanian security personnel on the border with Syria.
- Madagascar stadium blast kills two June 26, 2016A grenade explosion kills at least two people and wounds dozens during Madagascar's national day celebrations in the capital, officials say.
- Hungary 0-4 Belgium June 26, 2016Eden Hazard scores a dazzling solo goal as Belgium defeat Hungary to book a Euro 2016 last-eight tie against Wales.
- 'And another one goes': UK resignations on air June 26, 2016A string of Labour shadow cabinet members have quit, with more walkouts expected, in protest at Jeremy Corbyn's leadership over the EU referendum.
- Will Brexit affect touring musicians? June 26, 2016Musicians at Glastonbury grapple with the implications of leaving Europe for their upcoming tours, anticipating "big changes" ahead.
- Rollercoaster crash: Children among 10 hurt at M&D's theme park June 26, 2016Eight children and two adults are injured after a rollercoaster derails and crashes at a theme park in North Lanarkshire, Scotland.
- Sousse attacks: Survivor on anniversary June 26, 2016A ceremony has been held in Tunisia to remember the 38 tourists shot dead on a beach in Sousse exactly one year ago.
- Andy Murray column: Wimbledon may see British players spring a surprise June 26, 2016Andy Murray on feeling the Wimbledon nerves, facing Liam Broady, and how British players can spring surprises this year.
- Falluja: Iraq PM Haider al-Abadi hails recapture from IS June 26, 2016Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi urges all Iraqis to rejoice, after the recapture of the city of Falluja from Islamic State fighters.
- Second EU referendum petition investigated for fraud June 26, 2016The House of Commons petitions committee says it is investigating allegations of fraud in connection with a petition calling for a second EU referendum.
- Italian mafia boss caught after 20 years on run June 26, 2016One of Italy's most wanted mafia bosses is caught after 20 years on the run, with the authorities finding him asleep in his bed.
- 'Not a joke' June 26, 2016Bollywood star Priyanka Chopra tells the BBC how she hopes to change perceptions of Indian actors.
- Spanish election: PP wins most seats but deadlock remains June 27, 2016
Seniors Beware !
By Frank Hyland (Associate, Clarion Advisory) 5-18-12
The scary thing is that all this time you’ve focused on the Obamanation mouthpieces telling you that insurance firms and others were the enemy. That’s another trick the administration has pulled on you, like the magician who tells you to watch one hand carefully while the other pulls the trick on you. While the large and growing number of sleight-of-hand tricks that have been foisted on Americans by the administration is insulting overall, there is one that is perhaps the most insulting of all, and it is being pulled on Seniors. It is Bait and Switch of the highest order.
Undoubtedly, you seniors already know that the Obamanation took five hundred billion dollars from Medicare in order to fund Obamacare. But what you may not have heard of is the Medicare Advantage “trick.” This year, as usual, the Medicare Open Enrollment period will begin in mid-October. This year, though, that falls less than three weeks prior to the election on November 6th.
Millions and millions of Seniors who have been paying for their healthcare, even paying extra, would have found out that they were being shuttled back into the regular Medicare program, complete with all its perceived faults. So to put off the announcement and the accompanying agony, followed by the revenge in the voting booth, the Obamanation has devised a plan – Watch this hand over here.
The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) (Why is it still called that?) has a budget category known as “Demonstration Projects.” The Obamanation plans to use money from that line item to put off until a year after the election the “surprise” for Seniors, a total of $8.3 billion dollars.
To make it even worse and more of an insult, HHS will call the effort an “experiment,” to see what effect the $8.3 billion dollars will have on the sale of healthcare insurance. Why, you are probably asking yourself, would HHS and the Obamanation have to experiment with a program that has been going on for many years? You’re asking that because you are a lot smarter than the administration thinks you are.
Even the Congress’s own Government Accounting Office (GAO) has described the thinly disguised, highly partisan reelection effort as a waste of taxpayer money. You, of course, will have the final say in this blatant, insulting attempt to trick you.
When you walk into the voting booth on November 6th, just remember the wise old saying – “Fool Me Once, Shame on You; Fool Me Twice, Shame On Me.” You should not and need not be ashamed. Instead, you can “experiment” and make the Obamanation suffer the shame.
- U.S. national security adviser sees few immediate Brexit concernsWASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. National Security Adviser Susan Rice said on Sunday that there are "relatively few" immediate security concerns stemming from Britain's vote to leave the European Union, but the United States will work to ensure continued U.S.-UK cooperation on counter-terrorism and other security issues. […]
- Clash at California capitol leaves at least 7 injured(Reuters) - At least seven people were injured at a rally outside the California state capitol in Sacramento on Sunday as members of a white supremacist group clashed with counter-protesters, authorities said. […]
- Five killed in Colorado Amtrak train-car crash: state policeDENVER (Reuters) - Five people were killed in Colorado on Sunday when an Amtrak passenger train collided with a car in Las Animas County in the southern part of the U.S. state, state police said. […]
- Pride parades tinged with sadness after Orlando massacreNEW YORK (Reuters) - Millions of people draped in the rainbow hues of LGBT pride turned out for parades across the United States on Sunday, two weeks after a massacre at a Florida nightclub stirred fear and solidarity among lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans. […]
- Firefighters start to get deadly California blaze under controlSOUTH LAKE, Calif. (Reuters) - Firefighters have begun to contain a wildfire in central California that has killed at least two people and destroyed 200 structures, fire officials said on Sunday, as six other blazes burned in the state in an already intense wildfire season. […]
- Boston mobster 'Whitey' Bulger's possessions fetch $100,000 at auction(Reuters) - Former mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger's personal possessions - including a pen holder designed to look like a rat and a three-carat, heart-shaped diamond ring - fetched more than $100,000 at an auction in Boston on Saturday. […]
- Ohio State men's soccer player drowns while swimming(Reuters) - An Ohio State University men's soccer player drowned while swimming with his teammates in a lake, according to the university and local media. […]
- West Virginia's worst flooding in a century kills 24(Reuters) - West Virginia's three most devastated counties and possibly others will receive federal assistance after the state's worst flooding in more than a century killed at least 24 people, officials said on Saturday. […]
- U.S. Supreme Court poised to issue major abortion rulingWASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court is due on Monday to issue its first major abortion ruling since 2007 against a backdrop of unremitting divisions among Americans on the issue and a decades-long decline in the rate at which women terminate pregnancies. […]
- New York Times fashion photographer Bill Cunningham dies at 87NEW YORK (Reuters) - Bill Cunningham, the celebrated New York Times fashion photographer known for his shots of emerging trends on the streets of New York City, died on Saturday at age of 87 after being hospitalized for a stroke. […]
- U.S. national security adviser sees few immediate Brexit concerns
- Mafia boss captured after 20-year manhuntAllen ConeROME, June 26 (UPI) -- Ernesto Fazzalari, one of Italy's most-wanted mafia bosses has been caught Saturday in a remote cottage in the rugged Calabrian mountains.
- Dalai Lama, Lady Gaga get together for chatAllen ConeINDIANAPOLIS, June 26 (UPI) -- Two drastically different worldwide figures -- the Dalai Lama and Lady Gaga -- got together for a 20-minute chat Sunday morning.
- Multiple people stabbed at California capital during clash between neo-nazis, demonstratorsYvette C. HammettSACRAMENTO, June 26 (UPI) -- Numerous people were stabbed Sunday outside the Sacramento Capitol building during clashes between neo-Nazis and demonstrators.
- TransCanada seeks $15B on Keystone XL rejectionAllen ConeCALGARY, Alberta, June 26 (UPI) -- TransCanada Corp. is seeking $15 billion from the United States after the Obama administration's rejection last November of the Keystone XL oil pipeline.
- Iraq army takes last Islamic State stronghold in FallujahYvette C. HammettFALLUJAH, Iraq, June 26 (UPI) -- The Iraqi army has reportedly "fully liberated" Fallujah from the grip of Islamic State.
- Ten hurt when roller coaster derails in ScotlandAllen ConeMOTHERWELL, Scotland, June 26 (UPI) -- Eight children and two adults were hospitalized Sunday afternoon when a roller coaster derailed at M&D's amusement park in Motherwell, Scotland.
- Politicon 2016 features Ann Coulter, other Trump supportersYvette C. HammettPASADENA, Calif., June 26 (UPI) -- Conservative commentator Ann Coulter was among a string of Donald Trump supporters to rally for his campaign duriing the Politicon 2016 conference in Pasadena.
- 7 British Labor Party cabinet members out after Brexit voteAllen ConeLONDON, June 26 (UPI) -- Britain's Labor Party is in turmoil as six members of the cabinet resigned and one was fired after the nation voted in a referendum to quit the European Union.
- China, Russia pledge business partnership worth $50 billionAllen ConeBEIJING, June 26 (UPI) -- Russian President Vladmidir Putin pledged to strengthen "good neighborly" relations with China, including $50 billion in 58 business initiatives.
- Belgium arrests two men over alleged terror plot on Euro 2016 gamesYvette C. Hammett HullBRUSSELS, June 26 (UPI) -- Two men believed to be connected with a planned attack on Euro 2016 public fan zones have been arrested in Belgium.
- China launches next-generation carrier rocket Long March-7Yvette C. HammettHAINAN ISLAND, China, June 26 (UPI) -- China launched the next generation Long March-7 rocket Saturday which also included the inauguration of the Wenchang Space Launch Center on Hainan Island.
- Kerry and Netanyahu to meet on Israel-Palestine peace talks, no progress expectedYvette C. HammettROME, June 26 (UPI) -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in what could be a last-ditch effort to salvage peace talks.
- 3 killed after boat capsizes off California's Catalina IslandAllen ConeCATALINA ISLAND, Calif., June 26 (UPI) -- Three men were killed and four hospitalized after a 15-foot boat capsized off Catalina Island.
- Spanish to repeat general electionYvette C. HammettMADRID, June 26 (UPI) -- Spain held its second general election in six months Sunday in hopes of one party getting enough votes to form a majority government.
- UPI Almanac for Sunday, June 26, 2016By United Press International On June 26, 2015, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5 to 4 that states are constitutionally compelled to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, legalizing gay marriage nationwide.
- 150 homes burned in California wildfire, officials reportStephen FellerLAKE ISABELLA, Calif., June 25 (UPI) -- A fast-moving wildfire in Southern California claimed more homes Saturday as firefighters revised estimates lower on its containment.
- Panama canal expansion officially opens SundayStephen FellerPANAMA CANAL, Panama, June 25 (UPI) -- The Panama Canal Authority welcomes the first super-sized ship through the $5.4 billion expansion of the 100-year-old manmade shipping route this Sunday.
- Man says he fabricated stories about Holocaust, AuschwitzStephen FellerWASHINGTON, June 25 (UPI) -- A middle school history teacher unraveled the story of a purported Holocaust survivor, forcing the man to admit his claims about being at Auschwitz were a lie.
- Two people dead, five injured in Texas dance studio shootingDaniel UriaFORT WORTH, Texas, June 25 (UPI) -- Police in Texas reported that two people were killed and five more were injured in a shooting a local dance studio early Saturday morning.
- Iceland expected to elect 'ordinary guy' historian as next presidentStephen FellerREYKJAVIK, Iceland, June 25 (UPI) -- Gudni Johannesson had a 49-point lead in polls before the Icelandic election, suggesting the political newcomer will be their first new president in 20 years.
- Mafia boss captured after 20-year manhunt
- Sikorsky gets Polish-assembled S-70i for Turkish contractRichard TomkinsMIELEC, Poland, June 24 (UPI) -- PLZ Mielec, a subsidiary of Sikorsky, has delivered an S-70i Black Hawk helicopter to be used as a prototype for the Turkish T70 utility helicopter program.
- U.K. 'Brexit' vote makes tidal waves in global markets; Dow suffers 8th-worst one-day loss everEd Adamczyk and Doug G. WareNEW YORK, June 24 (UPI) -- Britain's vote to leave the EU had a far-reaching impact on global financial markets Friday, as the British pound lost value and Wall Street saw steep declines.
- John Kerry calls for tech upstarts to tackle world problemsAmy R. ConnollySTANFORD, Calif., June 24 (UPI) -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry urged entrepreneurs at the 2016 Global Entrepreneurship Summit to build successful companies to tackle worldwide problems.
- CH-53K helicopter achieves external payload milestoneRichard TomkinsWEST PALM BEACH, Fla., June 24 (UPI) -- Sikorsky Aircraft's CH-53K King Stallion cargo helicopter for the U.S. Marine Corps has hefted a 27,000-pound external payload lift.
- Brazilian air force tests KC-390 transportRichard TomkinsBRASILIA, Brazil, June 24 (UPI) -- The Brazilian air force is operationally flight testing modifications made to Embraer's KC-390 transport and tanker aircraft.
- Raytheon upgrading Kuwait's Patriot air defense systemRichard TomkinsANDOVER, Mass., June 24 (UPI) -- Raytheon is to modernize Kuwait's Patriot Air and Missile Defense Systems under a $523 million contract issued by the U.S. Army.
- Volkswagen to pay $10 billion to settle 'cheat device' emissions suitEd AdamczykSAN FRANCISCO, June 24 (UPI) -- Volkswagen has agreed to a $10.2 billion settlement to end its emissions scandal, those close to negotiations between the U.S. government and the company said.
- Sky falls on oil, world markets, on BrexitDaniel J. GraeberNEW YORK, June 24 (UPI) -- Oil prices, along with global stock markets, suffered one of their worst slides in recent history Friday following the British vote to leave the European Union.
- British oil industry calls for unity post-EUDaniel J. GraeberLONDON, June 24 (UPI) -- An industry group in the British oil and gas sector called for unity Friday in order to minimize the impacts of the vote to leave the European Union.
- Russia launches new engine production for military helicoptersNikolai Litovkin, Russia Beyond the Headlines The United Engine Corp. has launched production of engines for the newest Mi-38 multi-purpose helicopter, as well as for the Ka-52 and Mi-28 attack helicopters.
- Investigations ongoing in latest California oil spillDaniel J. GraeberVENTURA, Calif., June 24 (UPI) -- City officials in Ventura, Calif., said they're still investigating the cause of the release of 700 barrels of oil from a pump station run by Crimson Pipeline.
- More wind power added to French gridDaniel J. GraeberPARIS, June 24 (UPI) -- A French energy company said Friday it commissioned one of the most powerful wind farms of its kind in the country, equipped with "stealth" technology.
- Canada reacting to oil downturnDaniel J. GraeberMONTREAL, June 24 (UPI) -- As the economy stumbles under the pressure of low crude oil prices, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he was working to build a vibrant middle class.
- No immediate Brexit shock, Russia saysDaniel J. GraeberTASHKENT, Uzbekistan, June 24 (UPI) -- With up to $30 billion in new project investments with China on tap, the British exit from the EU might not mean much for Russia, a finance official said.
- World Bank: Uganda could get rich on oilDaniel J. GraeberKAMPALA, Uganda, June 24 (UPI) -- Uganda could dramatically overhaul its economy with the right management policies in place by the time oil starts flowing in 2018, the World Bank said.
- Macy's CEO Lundgren stepping aside in corporate shakeupDoug G. WareNEW YORK, June 23 (UPI) -- The man who led Macy's for nearly 15 years is stepping aside as chief executive at a time when the department store chain is facing challenges.
- MUOS-5 satellite on launch countdownRichard TomkinsCAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla., June 23 (UPI) -- The fifth Mobile User Objective System, or MUOS-5, communications satellite for the U.S. Navy is on countdown for launch Friday morning.
- U.S., Estonia strengthening defense technology collaborationRichard TomkinsWASHINGTON, June 23 (UPI) -- The United States and Estonia have signed an agreement for strengthened collaboration of defense technology.
- MQ-4C Triton UAS demos new capabilitiesRichard TomkinsPATUXENT RIVER, Md., June 23 (UPI) -- An MQ-4C Triton unmanned aerial vehicle has streamed full motion video while in flight to a manned P-8A Poseidon aircraft.
- Lockheed Martin factory rolls out first F-35A for IsraelRichard TomkinsFORT WORTH, Texas, June 23 (UPI) -- The first of 33 F-35 Lightning II fighters for Israel has rolled off Lockheed Martin's production line.
- Sikorsky gets Polish-assembled S-70i for Turkish contract